Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Sun Mar 9 04:31:49 EST 2003

Johanna
> >*cough* OK. Pet peeve of mine. People who say "Aaron" & "Erin" the same.
> >grew up w/someone named Aaron & believe you me, it was always Aaaaaron.
> >Not Eh-rin. There are two "a"s instead of an "er" there for a reason. ^_~
> >No one not native to the NY metro area seems to believe me, though...

and Denise
> I can't say it as "Aaron" either -- it's "Erin" in sound to me.  I'm
> starting to feel like perhaps I have a speech impediment, always unable to
> get this "ah" sound correct!  *snicker*  What other words have a similar
> "a" in them, so I can try to apply it to "Aaron"?  I'm trying "Ah-ron" but
> it sounds silly even if I just whisper it.

Now I'm confused. I've always heard 'Aaron' pronounced in a different way
again - but I'm not sure if I'm reading your phonetic spellings correctly.
I'd say Aaron (rhyming roughly with 'Keep your hair on!') rather than Erin
('The Fall and Rise of Reginal Perrin'), still less Ahron ('A driveway to
keep your car on').

Charlie