Abe Gross argross at bigpond.net.au
Sun Mar 9 00:53:11 EST 2003

>> Come to think of it, where is Parrish pronounced
>> Pah-rish instead of
>> Perish?

Johanna replied:

<< Huh. I would always say Pah-rish--more like Paaah-rish, but not in a
Bostonian way. It's my sometimes nasal (if I'm exaggerating it for comic
effect) Northeast (possibly just NY) accent. >>

>From my Aussie point of view, some Americans seem to pronounce their "a"s
more like an "e", so that "marry" sounds like "merry".

A lot of Aussies have difficulties with the short "u" sound in some
contexts. I have a friend with the popular Hebrew name of Avi, pronouced
like the "u" in "us". If you tell them how it's pronounced, they are unable
to produce it, and end up saying something like "AR-vee" with that first
vowel very stretched out the way an Aussie says "Harvey".

Ros