Diane Duane book

Ulrika Isacsson ulrika.books at incamail.com
Sat Mar 8 15:42:12 EST 2003

Jennifer wrote:

> Has anyone else read Duane's new book, Stealing the Elf-King's Roses? I'm
> partway through it for the second time and would like to hear what anyone
> else thinks of it. It isn't what I was expecting from the title, it's very
> sciencefictional, with multiple universes. I like it a lot, the heroine and
> her partner are nicely done, the worlds are very interesting, (the trial at
> the beginning of the book is terrific, it really puts you into the setting
> well) the mystery plot is confusing (in a good way). I was disappointed the
> first time through because I don't *love* it, and it doesn't seem to me to
> have the Duane "flavour" that the Door Into.. series and the Book of Night
> with Moon have. It also seemed to me to end slightly too quickly, I think
> the climax could have done with another few thousand words, but that seems
> to be a complaint I have with several books recently so it may just be me.
> :)
> I'd be interested to know what somebody who read it without any expectations
> of the author would think of it.

I have just finished this book, and it was the first book that I have read by this author. I did look at a series by her when I bought this book, think the first book was called "So You 'Want to be a Wizard" or something like that. It looked a bit interesting and I think I'll look at them again next time.

I liked Stealing the Elf King's Roses even if I think that it will take a reread for me to really understand some of the concepts and especially the end. I also think that the end was a bit rushed and I really wouldn't have minded another chapter there - so it's not just you! I really liked the way she explained our world in comparison with the other universes. It made a weird kind of sense...

//Ulrika