Gili Bar-Hillel abhillel at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 8 15:02:02 EST 2003

Joining the conversation a bit late.

My name, obviously, gets mispronounced in English in the most interesting
ways. It is GEE-lee, with a hard G. It means "my Joy". This was the name my
mother picked out for me, but my grandmother dissapproved, claiming it was a
sweet name for a little girl but not respectable enough for a grown woman.
So my mother caved in, and on my birth certificate I was "Avigail Gili".
("Avigail" is of course the Hebrew version of Abigail). The problem was that
no one ever called me Avigail, except people who knew my name only from
official documents, and I therefore developed an aversion to the name. My
grandmother herself, despite having insisted that I be called Avigail, only
ever called me Gili. In fact she mentioned me in her will as Gili, and when
claiming my inheritance I had to go through quite a complicated process to
prove that I was one and the same. I finally had it officially changed about
three years ago, and I in my passport I am now "Gili Avigail, formerly
Avigail Gili".

Gili Bar-Hillel
Tel-Aviv, tel.(03)5250014

www.picturetrail.com/gilibug