Denise DeGraf mustang at sonic.net
Sat Mar 8 14:44:19 EST 2003

johanna danced around singing:
>Yeah, I like a lot of names that are adapted from (or come directly from,
>if not too overly outlandish) fantasy novels, but the thing is, to me they
>all -sound- like they do. And I know I'd spend even more time & energy
>explaining.

I think that if my partner's name sounded directly out of a fantasy/sf
novel, it wouldn't be quite so bad.  His first name is Parrish -- and it's
pronounced with "ah" instead of an "eh" for the first vowel, which is much
harder to say with a Californian accent than it looks.  So I always get two
pronounced that way?

Come to think of it, where is Parrish pronounced Pah-rish instead of
Perish?  I figure on an international list like this one, *someone* must be
able to say it the way his (American) family does.  I can almost whisper it
correctly.  When I try to say it in my normal speaking voice, sadly, I
sound like the Impressive Clergyman from the Princess Bride movie.  Not
exactly romantic...

Denise DeGraf ~*~ http://www.sonic.net/mustang/moggy
"Happiness is something you have to go out and get.
It won't come to you, not in *this* world."
-- Diana Wynne Jones