Pronunciation (Was: Question: "High" concepts in Fantasy)

Abe Gross argross at bigpond.net.au
Sat Mar 8 06:17:44 EST 2003

Emma wrote:

> To add to the confusion, nearly all Queenslanders I know call them "togs"!

I didn't realise that "togs" is (are??) specific to Queensland. It must be
the importance of the beach in Australian life that produces the marked
variation in swim-wear words!

(And after I wrote the above post, I realised that "bathers" being a plural
word isn't really so strange after all; it just follows the pattern of other
words for clothes worn on the legs: trousers, jeans, etc...Only if you use
the word "swimsuit", it doesn't follow that pattern.)

Ros