Classifying fantasy and sf

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 8 05:40:46 EST 2003

--- Irina Rempt <irina at valdyas.org> wrote:
> On Saturday 08 March 2003 11:19, Irina Rempt wrote:
>
> > Try as I might, I didn't get any results (it
> *worked*, it just came
> > up with an empty list). What exactly did you do to
> get a list with
> > something in it?
>
> Never mind, what I did wrong was to try with
> Konqueror. It hung up
> Mozilla and worked with Opera (my last resort with
> badly scripted web
> pages).
>
> Now will someone tell me why my search for a female
> magic-using fairly
> sensitive eccentric geeky-weakling librarian in her
> 60s to 90s turned
> up, among a long list of things I'm very sure I
> don't want to read,
> _The Hobbit_?

Looking at it a bit more, it seems to find any matches
it has for anything you ask for, thus the more
categories you include in your search the more matches
you will get. It gives each book a rating, the higher
the rating the closer it comes to matching all of what
you asked for. The first time I tried a just put in a
few categories and got matches with ratings of 20 or
so (as i couldn't remember what I asked for and was
unfamiliar with most of the results I can't be certain
how closely they matched), the next time I put in lots
of categories and didn't expect any matches, but again
got lots that didn't really match what i wanted, but
this time they had low ratings (0.2 or less) because
they only matched one of the things I asked for (such
as featuring a jungle or set on Mercury or featuring
business rivalry or rivalry between father and son),
but the books all only matched one of the things I put
in.

Jon