Irina Rempt irina at valdyas.org
Sat Mar 8 05:31:12 EST 2003

On Wednesday 05 March 2003 15:00, johanna wrote:

> For those of you who've changed your names, would you mind talking a
> little bit about it? Like how you arrived at your new name (as
> opposed to choosing something else)?

When I converted to the Orthodox Church I thought that was a good
opportunity to change my name - I didn't have to, the one I had was in
the list of saints, but it's always permitted - and I started by making
a list of names I liked, then looked up the relevant saints to see if I
wanted to be associated with those people and got the list down to six
or so. Then I tried the names on one by one - live for a few days as if
I was called that. I found out that I wasn't an Elizabeth, worse luck,
but I was very comfortable with Irina (slavic variant of Irene; I'm not
Russian either by birth or culture but I was in a Russian parish at the
time) and that's what it still is.

   Irina

http://www.valdyas.org/~irina/foundobjects/          Latest: 02-Mar-2003