classification of Tough Guide?

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 7 16:59:50 EST 2003

--- hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk wrote:
> I ordered this for the university library here, and
> they shelve it under 809.915, whatever that means.
>
> I can't help thinking the simple present form of
> that verb ought to be 'shelf it'. But that's just
> me, I guess.
>
> Charlie

809.915 is the number for history and criticism of
literature (in general) displaying symbolism, allegory
or fantasy. The other literature numbers 809.3876 and
809.3915 are specifically numbers for history and
criticism of genre fiction in prose form (SF and
fantasy respectively). There seems to be a great
tendency for catalogers to assume that anything to do
with fantasy relates to fantasy role play games which
was the 793.93 number used, many of the other
libraries I looked up give the Tough Guide a subject
heading for fantasy games - dictionaries as well as
one for fantasy fiction - dictionaries. The
700.4whatever number the LoC uses has me mystified.
You can see whay Dewey can be confusing.

Jon