On names, changing them, and origins

Susanna E. Leng 98 Susanna.E.Leng.98 at Alum.Dartmouth.ORG
Fri Mar 7 13:21:16 EST 2003

> The penguin dictionary of Surnames does list Leng but
> doesn't say what part of England its from, although a
> quick websearch suggests Yorkshire and Lincolnshire as
> possibilities (or perhaps Eastern Europe). The meaning
> is "Taller", it is the Old English comparative of
> "Long"
>
> Jon (who never regrets aquiring a reference book)

Cool, thanks.  I'd never gotten that much information about my
name before.  The meaning is strangely accurate, as my dad is
pretty tall (6'4", I don't know in metric and don't have the inclination
to do the conversion myself), as was his father.  Too bad I only got
the name, not all the height.  =)