Names. Was: Question: "High" concepts in Fantasy

Otter Perry ottertee at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 7 08:49:08 EST 2003

Jon Noble wrote:

> I believe there is a US title called "The courage of
> Sarah Noble" fortunately it doesn't seem to have made
> it here as my Sarah has never had to endure seeing it
> (because needless to say if it had we couldn't resist
> embarassing her with it)

Ooooh, yes.  It's about our colonial period and takes
place in Connecticut.  A girl and her father set out
to find a new place to live.  They find such a place,
but the father has to return for the rest of the family
and leaves the girl with the local friendly Native
Americans.  The whole thing is pretty scary and she
does rather well, what with one thing and another.  I
liked it a lot.

There are a number of books I was given as a child that
I have gotten rid of, but I still have this one.

Of course, my name is not now and never has been Sarah
Noble.

I was always predisposed to like books about people
named Betsy [which is now and always has been my name],
but perhaps I was just lucky or, alternatively,
undiscerning.