classification of Tough Guide?

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 7 03:03:16 EST 2003

--- Jon Noble <jon_p_noble at yahoo.com> wrote:
> The 793.93 number is actually for fantasy role play
> games. I looked it up if a few other libraries to
> see
> how they treated it. The University of Sydney has a
> copy in their Rare Book Collection (this doesn't
> mean
> we have to start insuring our copies for megabucks -
> it will be in their special collection of fantasy
> and
> sf - one of the best in the world) but they don't
> give
> it a Dewey number. The library of congress gives it
> 700.41521 which should be a visual arts number
> although as I'm at home not work I couldn't sure
> exactly what. In trying a few other online libraries
> the University of Surry puts it at 809.915 which at
> least is a literature number, as is the different
> number that the Buckinhamshire Chilterns University
> College gives it - 809.38766. My personal copy of
> Dewey is too old to give a specific number for
> Fantasy
> as opposed to SF (which is 809.3876) but I have an
> idea it is actually 809.3915.
>
> So you can take your pick.
>
> Jon

Perhaps I should add to this that as I give all my own
books Dewey numbers (the non-fiction anyway) I've used
809.3915 for my copy of the Toughguide. My personal
copy of Dewey is rather old and doesn't include this
number but I have seen it used in other libraries for
books about fantasy. Any other librarians on the list
with comments here.

Jon