Pippi in Swedish

Irina Rempt irina at valdyas.org
Fri Mar 7 02:53:41 EST 2003

On Wednesday 05 March 2003 14:02, Gili Bar-Hillel wrote:
> Sallyo wrote:
> >A Swedish-speaker from another list gave me Pippi's name in Swedish;
> >Here it is;
> >Pippilotta Viktualia Rullgardina Krusmynta Efraimsdotter Långstrump
>
> In the original Hebrew translation, her name is: Gilgigunda Viktualia
> Vilonot Petrosilia Bat-Efraim Gerev-Gur. One of my nicknames was once
> a shorter version of this (Gilgigunda Petrosilia).

In Dutch it's Pippilotta Victualia Rolgordyna Kruizemunta Efraïmsdochter
Langkous - very close to the original.

In the Hebrew, it strikes me that the "Bat-Efraim" seems so natural - in
Dutch it's unusual to call someone "X's daughter". It would be even
more natural in Icelandic, I expect, though there Efraïm is an exotic
name (as it is in Dutch).

   Irina

http://www.valdyas.org/~irina/foundobjects/          Latest: 02-Mar-2003