On names, changing them, and origins

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 7 02:52:42 EST 2003

--- "Susanna E. Leng 98"
<Susanna.E.Leng.98 at Alum.Dartmouth.ORG> wrote:
> In the spirit of names, pronunciation, and that,
> could anyone
> perhaps throw some light on my last  name?  (Leng)
> I have been
> told that my grandfather's origins are from Great
> Britian, but half the
> telemarketers that call me are speaking some unknown
> (to me)
> Asian language.  I don't look at all Asian, which is
> often a shock to
> people who have only seen my name on some roll call
> before they
> meet me.  Have any of you heard of this surname
> before?  I'm very
> curious.

The penguin dictionary of Surnames does list Leng but
doesn't say what part of England its from, although a
quick websearch suggests Yorkshire and Lincolnshire as
possibilities (or perhaps Eastern Europe). The meaning
is "Taller", it is the Old English comparative of
"Long"

Jon (who never regrets aquiring a reference book)