Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 6 17:03:28 EST 2003

--- Philip.Belben at eme.co.uk wrote:

> >>And I
> >>had always seen the Lerner and Loewe song listed
> as
> >>"They Call the Wind Mariah", though looking
> online, it
> >>looks like "They Call the Wind Maria" is used just
> as
> >>often.  I wonder which it actually is.
> >
> > It's "Mariah."  I learned to play this on the
> guitar in fourth grade, so
> > I saw the sheet music.
>
> Sounds as if two different versions are doing the
> rounds.  The copies we sang
> from said "Maria".  I had great difficulty
> pronouncing it -RYE-, even though
> that was so obviously necessary for the rhyme.
>
> (Interesting phenomenon.  Looking at the paragraph
> above, I automatically
> pronounce the first example -RYE- and the second
> -REE-, and have to stop and go
> back to get the -RYE- sound in "Maria".  Even though
> I know how the song is
> pronounced.)
>
> Unsupported hypothesis:  Lerner wrote "Maria" but
> some editor added the H
> because so many people pronounce it -REE- without.
>
> Philip (who is grateful for the experience, but has
> no wish ever to sing another
> Lerner and Loewe song)

I remember (possibly incorrectly) the song being spelt
with no "h" some fourty years ago. In my Uni days we
tried to write a musical based on LOTR, needless to
say Gimli sang "they call the mine Moria" and later
Legolas sang "I've just seen a mine called Moria" (to
which Gimli responded with "when you walked in joint I
could see you were an elf of distinction, a real
bow-bender" (to the tune of big spender)

Jon