Names. Was: Question: "High" concepts in Fantasy

Irina Rempt irina at valdyas.org
Thu Mar 6 16:46:50 EST 2003

On Thursday 06 March 2003 16:42, Macrae-Gibson,R wrote:

> I don't know if I could read a book that used my name.

Someone gave me a book called "Irina" just after I'd changed my name to
that, and it was *horrible*, about a Baptist girl in Soviet Russia.

When I encounter someone else with my first name who is not either
Russian or in the Orthodox Church or both, I'm mildly startled, like
when I saw a children's book written by Irina van Goeree (probably
pseudonymous).

My kids have it too; when Rebecca read a book about a Jewish girl in
WWII, called Rebecca as well, she made a point of saying "that's not
me!"

   Irina

http://www.valdyas.org/~irina/foundobjects/          Latest: 02-Mar-2003