Kyla Tornheim kyla at merlin.sccs.swarthmore.edu
Thu Mar 6 14:30:26 EST 2003

On Wed, 5 Mar 2003, Dorian E. Gray wrote:

> (though I'm still waiting for Kyla to explain how her name can be
> mispronounced!)

Kayla. People simply do not understand that, no, my name has only one "a"
in it. I assume they're misreading, because while "ay" could be pronounced
"eye," "y" cannot be pronounced "ay" (or "eh," if you're Canadian ;^).

This means that I hate, loathe and despise the name Kayla, which is kind
of unfortunate because it's not really that bad a name. The only times I
didn't get annoyed when I was called Kayla was in high school, because
there was a girl named Kalah (pronounced Kayla, so she must have had more
problems than I did) who was in a bunch of my classes. I completely
understood how teachers could simply say the wrong name.

On Thu, 6 Mar 2003, Rowland, Jennifer A B wrote:

> Jennifer (my father has a very unusual name and was determined that his
> children would have common ones)

...and that's the story of my and my sister's names, only in reverse. My
mom's name is Susan, which is one of the most common names in her
generation. In school, she was always "Susan F.," and she hated that. So
she decided that her kids would have unusual names, and my dad agreed.