Ven vendersleighc at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 6 13:55:15 EST 2003

I said

<I change not only the stress but the vowel
sound,

Ma-ree-ah, but Mo-RI-ah, where the vowels
corespond to the UK RP pronunciation of cat and
cot. However my reading of alt usage english has
informed me that many english speakers do not
hear these sounds as distinct though I swear I do
pronounce them differently!>

and I should have said not only the stress and
the second vowel but the first vowel as well.

Jon said
>But we can't trust how Victorians say place
names as
>they (in my experience) pronounce the name of
the
>large industrial city near where i live with the
>middle sylable to sound like ass not arse.
>(Newcastle).

and Robyn replied

<I think you will find that this depends very
much
on where they were
educated. No girl from my school would used what
you describe as
"Victorian" pronunciation.>

And I was thinking "Where?" they were educated,
not "When?" until I remembered that Victoria is a
state in Australia so victorian in this instance
does not refer to an era. I was very puzzled,
Jon, asd to how you could be so sure about how
Victorians (top hats and penwipers) pronounced
things!

One of my favourite local place names is
Oughtibridge...... any guesses?

=====
Ven