Names. Was: Question: "High" concepts in Fantasy

Macrae-Gibson,R R.Macrae-Gibson at lse.ac.uk
Thu Mar 6 10:42:37 EST 2003

I'm with you on this one! I've said this before but my sister's name & my one of my brothers' names appears in Archers Goon. Much as I love DWJ, I don't know if I could read a book that used my name. Because it's not just a name, it's me. And noone else is allowed to use it, so there. N'yah. And coupled with my surname I do tend to stand out a bit. Quite frightening to do a google search on, as well!
Some people just can't spell names, no matter if you repeat them, or give them official ID from which to copy. Even my mother's maiden name (another double barrelled name beginning with M) is spelt wrong on my birth certificate. If I'm leaving dry cleaning or getting shoes repaired etc, I usually just use Gibson, because people can't cope with the whole lot, and they certainly have trouble spelling it. Then of course they can't spell Gibson, which really isn't an unusual name. So I've tried with my partner's surname, Baker, and you'd be surprised just how many people can't spell that, either, and it's certainly not an unusual name or word!

Yet another reason for agreeing with the Mound People & Dorig that knowledge of someone's name gives you power over them.

Rowena