Otter Perry ottertee at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 6 07:54:56 EST 2003

Ven wrote:

> The commonest name for the card game is Hearts,
> the object is to play for tricks (like whist) but
> not to win any hearts and especially not the
> Queen of Spades.

Oh!  Hearts!  Yes, I spent almost a whole semester
my junior year in college playing Hearts with a
rather mixed group that frequently included
two Black Panthers who weren't students.

Hmmmmm.  So that's called Black Maria.  Well, we
could have called it that, 'black' being the PC
term at the time, nobody suggested it.  I don't
remember any discussion of other names for it.