Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 6 06:10:33 EST 2003

--- Ms Kathleen Jennings <s368333 at student.uq.edu.au>
wrote:
Then there's Bulledelah
> (Bull-eh-DEAL-ah) which one of my aunts pronounces
> as "BillAHdillAH).

My wife and her brother both ofter use the latter
version as a joke pronounciation. (for the town just
north of Newcastle, NSW - is there another?) There are
quite a few Australian town names which are a word
repeated - Wagga Wagga, Kurri Kurri, Wangi Wangi etc -
these they often pronounce the two words differently
KURRee kurrII, WangEE WanJI, as these two are both
nearby this quite upsets the locals.
My own favourite Aussie place name is Gulargambone, in
central western NSW. When I was training as a teacher
a friend was in great fear of being appointed there
(solely on account of the name of the place) but I
thought Broken Hill would be worse as it was the
furthest school from Sydney to which I could be
appointed. We both got our fears.

Jon