Thu Mar 6 00:28:20 EST 2003

On Wed, 5 Mar 2003 14:27:11 -0500 (EST), johanna wrote:

>> There's a name I'd seen recently on children's books that just SCREAMED
>> name change:  Crescent Dragonwagon.  I looked her up and read the story
>> of why she changed her name, and it was fascinating:
>
>Ooh, I love Crescent Dragonwagon. I've never read her kids books, but she
>is the author of my favorite cookbook. And yeah, I scurried online to find
>out why she ended up w/that name, too. :)

After Jacob and I talked about her and her first husband changing their
name, he started going on about how WE should have done that when we
married.  Apparently he thinks Proffitt is pretty bland too...plus it would
seriously piss off his sisters that we weren't carrying on the Proffitt
family name, etc.  :)  He was only half joking.  Good thing we didn't try,
because we had such a hard time coming up with names for our children, I
can't imagine that we'd ever have agreed on a surname.  Though we did decide
that Jacob and Melissa Vorkosigan had a really nice ring to it....

Melissa (still) Proffitt

-----
English doesn't borrow from other languages. English follows other languages down dark alleys, hits them over the head and goes through their pockets for loose vocabulary.