Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 5 22:41:11 EST 2003

--- johanna <johanna at nobrandheroine.net> wrote:

> For those of you who've changed your names, would
> you mind talking a
> little bit about it? Like how you arrived at your
> new name (as opposed to
> choosing something else)? I toy w/the idea of
> changing my name, because
> aside from the pronunciation difficulty here, I am
> just not v. fond of it.
> But I have trouble choosing a name that I think fits
> me w/o being too
> pretentious or silly. And I feel like another name
> should be
> momentous--there should be some big reason I'm
> choosing it--& nothing much
> has pulled me that far. I guess I feel like one's
> birth name is just a
> name you had no control over, & thus fairly
> meaningless (although to your
> parents it may have had meaning), but if you name
> yourself later on in
> life, it better -mean something-.
>
> If anyone's read Marge Piercy's Woman on the Edge of
> Time, I like their
> system, how you kind of rename yourself whenever you
> feel your name
> doesn't fit anymore.
>
> Johanna

My nominative position is, I suspect, a bit different
from everyone elses. My name was changed for me, by my
father, when I was too young to do anything about it,
but old enough to be upset by it all. I was born Peter
John, but my father changed my name (and those of my
sisters - but not my brother's) to Jon Paul for
numerological reasons. This was only one of a number
of strange beliefs he had, and is doubtless the reason
for my own scepticism regarding anything even slightly
paranormal. I know I had started school (as Peter) at
the time and it caused no end of confusion. I kept
calling myself peter until I started university when I
decided that I'd go with Jon and bury the past.

Jon (or Peter)