Pronunciation (Was: Question: "High" concepts in Fantasy)

Abe Gross argross at bigpond.net.au
Wed Mar 5 22:12:03 EST 2003

> > And Americans often have problems with Melbourne,
> > which is not Mel-BOURNE,
> > but Melb'n (sort of).
> >
> > Ros
> >
> But we can't trust how Victorians say place names as
> they (in my experience) pronounce the name of the
> large industrial city near where i live with the
> middle sylable to sound like ass not arse.
> (Newcastle).
>
> Jon

That's because Victorians (or Melbournians, at least) tend to pronouce words
like "castle" similar to the American way (cassle) instead of the British
(car-stle). Another example is that we pronouce "France" and "prance" and
similar words as in "cancer" while Sydneysiders say it the British way
(FrAHnce).  I wonder how this particular difference came about. There are
some other linguistic differences between NSW and Victoria (or maybe it's
just between Sydneysiders and Melbournians?) that seem to be isolated
oddities. An exmple
that springs to mind is that we (Melbournians) use the word "bathers" while
Sydneysiders say "swimsuit', "swimming costume" or "cozzie". When I grew up
we only ever said "bathers", never anything else. What's even more
interesting is that "bathers" is a plural word, as in "Where are my
bathers?" though it's sometimes referred to as a "pair of bathers". I call
examples like this oddities because while there mght be some subtle
differences in accent or language use among various Australian states or
cities, there's nothing like the huge and instantly recognisable accent and
vocabulary
differences that you find among the US states or in the UK.

Ros