Question: "High" concepts in Fantasy

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 5 19:18:44 EST 2003

--- Robyn Starkey <rohina at shaw.ca> wrote:

> >But we can't trust how Victorians say place names
> as
> >they (in my experience) pronounce the name of the
> >large industrial city near where i live with the
> >middle sylable to sound like ass not arse.
> >(Newcastle).
>
> I think you will find that this depends very much on
> where they were
> educated. No girl from my school would used what you
> describe as
> "Victorian" pronunciation.

Nor does my Victorian educated wife (Frankston High
school) but  her family come from up here so she grew
up knowing how to say it. However you're observation
is valid, Australians do have misconceptions about how
different regions say words. When I taught in Broken
Hill the kids there had many strange ideas about how
Sydney people spoke, all of which were quite wrong,
but Broken Hill did have its own idiosyncrasies, the
often used the word "to" in place of "at" ("where is
the book to" rather than "where is the book at") which
I believe comes from the Cornish tin miners who made
up much of the original population.

Jon