Question: "High" concepts in Fantasy

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Wed Mar 5 16:14:13 EST 2003

Charlie said...

> (And Dhaine from the Immortals books by Tamora Pierce is called
> Dhana, for reasons that escape me).
>
> I suspect that's one for the Gaelic speakers amongst us....

Hmph.  If that's meant to be an Irish word/name, it's in some case (or
cases!) other than the nominative; that H is what's called a seimhu and is
inserted into a word in certain cases (including the vocative) to soften the
initial consonant.

Without the seimhu, the word would be pronounced DAN-yuh, or possibly
DAWN-yuh if there's an accent missing from the I.  With the seimhu, the word
is impossible to render in English phonetics - try pronouncing the D as a
hard G softened after the same fashion as the German or Scottish CH!

Anyway, they probably made it Dhana as the easiest and closest
approximation. :-)

("Seimhu", btw, ought to have accents on the E and the U, and is pronounced
SHAY-vu.)

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--