Question: "High" concepts in Fantasy

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Wed Mar 5 16:07:07 EST 2003

I said...

> > You managed Dun Laoghaire, but can you pronounce
> >
> > Howth
> > Droichead Nua
> > Killala
> > Castletownbere
> > Ballina
> > Cobh

...but no-one really wanted to play. :-(

Well, almost no-one.  Otter got Cobh (cove) right, and Jon said...

> The town in northern NSW is pronounced Bal-in-ah

But the tricky part there is in the stress, which you didn't indicate!

Just so's you all know, Howth is pronounced with the first syllable like
"hoe" (as in garden implement).  Droichead Nua (which just means Newbridge,
btw) is DRIH-hed NOO-a.  Killala is kil-LAL-a.  Castletownbere is
casslton-BARE.  And Ballina, just to confuse you now you got the stress in
Killala, is ballin-AA.

Now aren't you all glad you don't live in Ireland. :-)

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray