Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Wed Mar 5 14:43:51 EST 2003

>We had trouble with the inlaws when we were naming our kids because they
>were sure that they would be teased.  Our oldest is Teleri, which is a story
>in itself because in trying to be kind to the dumb Americans, we opted for
>TEL-uh-ree instead of tel-AIR-ee, which I assumed no one would ever come up
>with.  Of course, strangers always assume the second pronunciation.
>(Everyone else says "you mean Tillary like Hillary?")  Anyway, the way we
>say it, it rhymes with "celery," and a well-meaning aunt pointed this out.

I think it is a great name, regardless of the celery problem. My daughter's
name - Xanthe - causes a lot of problems. Every time we go to a new
activity like dancing or gym, the person who is going to have to call out
her name looks at blankly. Many people who hear it rather than try to work
out how to say it from seeing it written don't seem to be able to hear what
it is. They most commonly hear "Sandy". It's almost impossible to correct
this, so I don't bother.

Robyn