johanna johanna at nobrandheroine.net
Wed Mar 5 13:39:26 EST 2003

> "Black Maria", as the title of a book by DWJ, I pronounce -REE-, because
> that is how I pronounce the woman's name anyway.

Someone--I think Melissa, although I was too quick w/the delete key--said
that people in her area would likely say "ma-ree-a" because there were
lots of Latinos in the area. I was surprised to hear that, as I've always
thought of, & have seen/heard, ma-ree-a as the normal way to pronounce it,
divorced from any particular ethnicity. I'd expect "Mariah" if I heard it
ma-rye-a. Anyone else from the US want to chime in on this? I'm curious
now.

Johanna

--
What, after all, is a halo? It’s only one more thing to keep clean.
--Christopher Fry, The Lady's Not For Burning

www.nobrandheroine.net