Wed Mar 5 12:35:52 EST 2003

On Wed, 5 Mar 2003 15:06:00 -0000, Charles Butler wrote:

>Deborah:
>>And I knew the pronounciation because it's in
>> the book.
>>
>It is? Jeez, Deborah, that's a dirty rotten trick to pull... :)

Well, that's where *I* learned it too.  :)  Might as well take advantage of
the information provided, and so forth....

On the other hand, I think Americans would be more likely to say "Ma-REE-ah"
as the default because that's simply the common pronunciation of that name
here, not because anyone necessarily knows what a Black Maria is (and note
that they did change the title to _Aunt Maria_ for the US audience, probably
for that very reason).  In my part of the country, there's a large Hispanic
population and in Spanish the name is pronounced with the long "e".

Melissa Proffitt
whose last name gets mispronounced and misspelled far more often than it
ought to be

-----
English doesn't borrow from other languages. English follows other languages down dark alleys, hits them over the head and goes through their pockets for loose vocabulary.