Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Wed Mar 5 10:20:17 EST 2003

> Police vans.  I've never heard of the card game.

I meant to say about the card game (and then I promise I'll shut up and go
and spend some quality time with my children, etc.). I think it's  a bit
like Old Maid where the object is NOT to end up with the Queen of Spades
(Black Maria).  It goes by several other names too, some rather rude. This
seems to have more relevance than police vans to DWJ's story, anyway. And of
course she used a card reference in at least one of her other titles (Minor
Arcana).

Charlie