Kyla Tornheim kyla at merlin.sccs.swarthmore.edu
Wed Mar 5 09:22:59 EST 2003

On Wed, 5 Mar 2003, johanna wrote:

> > By the way, since my earlier email I looked up Black Maria in Brewer's
> > Phrase and Fable and it claims that it's actually an American (United
> > States of) expression anyway, originating in Boston (Mass, not Lincs).
> > So presumably it would be well known there.
>
> Uh. Not by me, although that doesn't mean anything... will be curious to
> see what other US folks here say. I hope I'm not the only ignorant one. :)

You're not. And I'm *from* Boston--okay, well, suburbs, but except for my
four years of college I've always been here. And is the expression you're
talking about the police vans or the card game?

IIRC, the reason I pronounce Maria "mah-RYE-uh" in that book is because
the pronunciation is mentioned in the book.