Question: "High" concepts in Fantasy

Margaret Ball margaret at onr.com
Wed Mar 5 09:12:40 EST 2003

> In the Inspector Jury books, Martha Grimes says explicitely that Rithven
> (sp?) is pronouced Ri'vvn and Bicester-Strathan (or something like that)
> Bister-Strawn. She makes one character explain it to another. That's not
> Phantasy,
> of course.
>
> There's also Inspector Dalziel in Reginal Hill's books, pronounced "Dee
> ell". Perhaps its a crime-fighting trait.

Nup, those are all UK-style-English traits. That is, I don't know about
Ruthven and Bicester-Strathan, but they sound right in the tradition.
Dalziel is a real name and it really is pronounced Dee-el. I'm still
waiting for the fantasy character named Q'spoiex'ltm whose name is
pronounced Cheesh.

I suppose Sally has a good point about spelling the names the way you
expect them to be pronounced. Some nonsense about being nice to the
readers.  Although Americans, at least, can *always* pronounce a name in
some way you wouldn't have expected. I married a man named Zoraster,
which doesn't look that difficult to me, but it's been very interesting
over the years to learn what strange noises telemarketers produce when
attempting a name they're not already familiar with.

--
Margaret Ball
http://www.flameweaver.com