Otter Perry ottertee at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 5 08:03:44 EST 2003

Megan Knight wrote:

> I still get people mispronouncing my name, though, it's pronounced with a
> short e, like meggan, not meegan.

Ooops.  I would have said 'maygan'.  Live and learn.

Of course, there may be 'meegan's and 'maygan's out there as well.  One of
the great rules is:  everybody pronounces their own name correctly.

Even if it's not the way one would expect them to pronounce it.  It's
their name.  They're right.

One of the USofA names that is in the 'Featherstonehaugh' class is
'Taliaferro'.  I have met people with this last name who pronounce
it pretty much the way you'd expect from the spelling.  But if you
are from the old Virginia family, you say 'Tolliver'.