Question: "High" concepts in Fantasy

Sally Odgers sodgers at tassie.net.au
Wed Mar 5 07:44:48 EST 2003

> >In the Inspector Jury books, Martha Grimes says explicitely that Rithven
> (sp?) is pronouced Ri'vvn and Bicester-Strathan (or something like that)
> Bister-Strawn. She makes one character explain it to another. That's not
> Phantasy,
> of course.

When creating fantasy names, I always spell them the way I expect them to be
pronounced.

DaiShah  = Die (Welsh dai) Shah.

ShuMar = Shoe Mar

I was a bit startled, though, when an editor stressed the second name on the
first syllable, when I stressed the second. Just shows you can't ever be
sure.

I used a character called Tace recently... that's a real name, pronounced
Tah-Cheh. I showed how to pronounce it in the book, so kids wouldn't be
saying something that rhymed with "face".

Sallyo.