Question: "High" concepts in Fantasy

Irina Rempt irina at valdyas.org
Tue Mar 4 17:25:57 EST 2003

On Tuesday 04 March 2003 13:58, Otter Perry wrote:

> Children who don't like their names -- well, let's put
> it this way.  My parents didn't name me Otter, but if
> you want to see my passport, there it is, just as if
> they had.

My parents didn't name me Irina; they named me something short and
serviceable that would have been adequate if nearly every rude word in
the Dutch language didn't rhyme with it.

> My original first name had disadvantages other than
> my not liking it much.

Erm, yes.

> And my parents never used it
> anyway -- I have a nickname based on my middle name.
> But that d**m first name got used in school because
> I didn't know I could insist, and well, ....

I never had any nicknames, or even a middle name at all, because my
parents' philosophy was that a person should have ONE name that could
NOT be nicknamed. (That's why all of my daughters have three florid
names)

> Anyway, I changed it finally.
>
> After my parents were both dead.

I changed it when both of my parents were still alive (only my father is
alive now) but not officially; doing that in the Netherlands entails
lawyers and lengthy procedures and Large Sums of Money. I'm not so
traumatized by my old name that it's worth that for me - I blithely use
the official name on official documents. This made someone boggle who
bought me a Canadian inland plane ticket: both the first and the last
name on the ticket were different from what he knew me as, because my
passport is in my maiden name (had to get it to get married) and I use
my married name in normal life.

In a way, I *have* chosen my own name, though for the surname I had only
two choices.

(I called myself Janet Morgan for a while, and if it wasn't so close to
some existing writers I'd probably use it as a pseudonym if anything of
mine ever gets published)

   Irina

http://www.valdyas.org/~irina/foundobjects/          Latest: 02-Mar-2003