Long names

HSchinske at aol.com HSchinske at aol.com
Tue Mar 4 17:11:16 EST 2003

In a message dated 3/4/2003 1:20:59 PM Pacific Standard Time, Katta writes:

> Yes, I do that a lot. Like the octopus in one of Erik Linklater's books
> (I've only read it in Swedish): Culliferdonto Foscofolio Polydesteropouf,
> married to Dildery Doldery Casadiplasadimolodysjenkendorf Rustiverolico
> Silverplask. I'd love to hear what those names are in English, btw. :-)

I think I've got that book, I can try to find it for you if no one else gets
to it. And what is Pippi Longstocking's full name in Swedish? All I can
remember of the English version, and I'll probably mangle it, is Pippilotta
Delicatessen Windowshade Mackerelmint Ephraim's Daughter Longstocking.

Katta also writes:

"Anyone who can pronounce my surname (Hjärpe) and isn't Scandinavian will get

a standing ovation. :-)"

HYARE-puh is my best guess, but maybe I'm off due to relying on German
pronunciation rules. Hyare like hare and puh like uh or er, depending on how
you want to spell a schwah.

Helen Schinske (one-sixteenth Norwegian, not sure if that's enough to count)