Question: "High" concepts in Fantasy

Kyla Tornheim kyla at merlin.sccs.swarthmore.edu
Tue Mar 4 13:11:15 EST 2003

On Wed, 5 Mar 2003, Sally Odgers wrote:

> If you could have any first name you pleased, coupled with any surname, what
> would you choose and why? ODWJR - Polly, who was pretty, wanted to look like
> Nina, who wasn't. Is there anyone called Amethyst Silver out there who would
> much prefer to be known as Mungbean Bloggs?

See, for me, getting to like my name was pretty much the same thing as
getting to really like myself. When I was little and was playing
make-believe games, I *never* wanted to be called Kyla. Rowan was, IIRC,
my vaguely-fantasy name of choice. I never really disliked my name,
especially since most people who met me (grownups, I mean) said, "oh, what
a pretty name!" They still say that, but more often they've pronounced it
wrong first, so I'm a bit grumpier about it. :^)

I think when I was getting to high school (I'm assuming that junior high
was pretty much a low point :^), so when I was about 13 or 14, I decided
that, yeah, my name was a good name and all the people who couldn't spell
or pronounce it were lame, instead of it being a problem inherent in the
name. My only quibble is that too many other people are using *my* name.
This is one of the problems with growing up with an unusual name--it
becomes *yours*. My friends named Catherine and Jennifer and Amy don't
have this problem.

And, really, I wouldn't want to be named either Amethyst *or* Mungbean.
:^)