Question: "High" concepts in Fantasy

Margaret Ball margaret at onr.com
Tue Mar 4 11:02:21 EST 2003

>there does seem to be a kind of pleasure to be got from
>training oneself to remember very long names

and a comparable pleasure from being able to pronounce
you'd-never-guess-it-from-the-spelling names....although that may be
limited to the English-reading world, since most languages have adopted
writing systems that give you at least a fair shot at pronouncing what's
been written down.(Okay, not Gaelic. Gaelic isn't a language, it's an
attitude.)  Deciphering English place names, though, seems to be on a
par with reading Mayan glyphs. Central Texas has its own set of traps
for the stranger, but you British must have the most godawful collection
of nothing-like-it's-spelled names - both English and Gaelic -  in the
civilised world.

 I expect you're used to it by now, but I'm still proud of myself for
knowing that Kirkcudbright was really Kirkoobry even before we went
there, and that Dun Laoghire was Dun Leary to the locals. (okay, that's
not quite Great Britain, but close).

The point of this being....how can we be sure that Cthulhu isn't
pronounced Coaly by the, er, locals? And can we think of any fantasy
novel in which it's explicitly stated that Lord Xochipitl's name is
pronounced Shoppit? I can't, but I bet somebody on this list can come up
with an example.

--
Margaret Ball
http://www.flameweaver.com