Question: "High" concepts in Fantasy

Katarina Hjärpe head_overheels at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 4 07:49:17 EST 2003

>Has anyone ever actually tried pronouncing (or, more to the point,
>remembering) the full name of Bree in _The Horse and his Boy_?
>
>You mean Breehy-hinny-brinny-hoohy-hah? I almost called my son that!
>
>Seriously no, but there does seem to be a kind of pleasure to be got from
>training oneself to remember very long names.

Yes, I do that a lot. Like the octopus in one of Erik Linklater's books
(I've only read it in Swedish): Culliferdonto Foscofolio Polydesteropouf,
married to Dildery Doldery Casadiplasadimolodysjenkendorf Rustiverolico
Silverplask. I'd love to hear what those names are in English, btw. :-)

I still haven't quite managed to remember the name of Johan Gambolputty de
von Ausfern Splender Schlitter Crasscrenbon fried Digger Dingle Dangle
Dungle something something something of Ulm. Must go practice.

Katta