Question: "High" concepts in Fantasy

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Tue Mar 4 07:09:54 EST 2003

Kathleen:
Has anyone ever actually tried pronouncing (or, more to the point,
remembering) the full name of Bree in _The Horse and his Boy_?

You mean Breehy-hinny-brinny-hoohy-hah? I almost called my son that!

Seriously no, but there does seem to be a kind of pleasure to be got from
training oneself to remember very long names. Think of all the people who've
never been to Anglesey but pique themselves on being able to say
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch. Then there's my
wife, who teaches yoga and is always (and, it seems to me, egregiously)
mentioning poses with Sanskrit names so long you get a pretty good workout
just from saying them. I've even thought of a name for this syndrome:
Supercalifragilisticexpialidociousitis. It's bound to catch on...

Charlie