Vande Velde

deborah deborah at suberic.net
Mon Mar 3 23:44:23 EST 2003

_HA_ is a much much better rehashing over _UU_.  I like Vande Velde very
much, but she's inconsistent.  Never Trust a Dead Man was pretty good.
Funny serious, with a hero rather ala Gair.

-deborah
deborah at suberic.net
--
The main character is a misogynistic, hermaphroditic,
heavy-drinking, ultra-cynical aardvark. It's an acquired taste.

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003, Melissa Proffitt wrote:

|On Thu, 27 Feb 2003 19:10:37 -0500 (EST), M Elizabeth Parks wrote:
|
|>The first was Vivian Vande Velde's _Heir Apparent_, which I liked in a
|>comforting way.  It's about a girl's experience in a virtual reality game,
|>and at times the message is overly obvious, and the main character a
|>little slow, but I enjoyed reading it.
|
|The first book I read by Vande Velde was called _User Unfriendly_ and was
|also about virtual reality (sort of).  It left me with a distaste for her
|books for years, mainly because I was playing computer games AND roleplaying
|games at the time and recognized where she hadn't done her homework.  Too
|bad, because she's a decent writer and tells interesting stories.  I later
|read _The Changeling Prince_ and enjoyed it much more.
|
|Melissa Proffitt
|apropos of not much

|--