Question: "High" concepts in Fantasy

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Mon Mar 3 18:01:22 EST 2003

> But are you pronouncing it correctly? I'm sure no
> human mouth can say this word as it should be said,

One of the joys of hearing eighteenth-century scholars discuss Swift lies in
hearing how they choose to pronounce 'Houyhnhnm'. Should they simply say
'Hoynim' (the coward's way), add a little nasal overlay to the 'hnhnm' part,
or throw back their heads and go for a full-throated whinny? It says a lot
about one's character, and you can bet Swift foresaw it all.

Charlie