Question: "High" concepts in Fantasy

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 3 17:27:21 EST 2003

--- "Dorian E. Gray" <israfel at eircom.net> wrote:
> Blink?  "Cthulhu" isn't unpronounceable!  *I* can
> pronounce it, and so can
> most of my friends (though very few of them can
> spell it correctly).  So
> there! :-)

But are you pronouncing it correctly? I'm sure no
human mouth can say this word as it should be said,
but then of course, this is a word that Shouldn't Be
Said ;) I once heard Bob Bloch trying to pronounce it
as Lovecraft said it should be pronounced. he said it
was impossible to pronounce correctly.

> > Then we have
> > those names that rather give the game away "Prince
> > Dutiful Farseer" or "Lord Foul" - I mean if your
> > parents named you that you'd probably turn to evil
> too
> > - just imagine what he went through at school)
>
> I went through a brief phase at age 16 of wanting to
> be called Dracula.

Yes there are dangers in letting children pick their
own names. My youngest Sarah is dissatisfied with her
names (middle name is Eleanor) but has never managed
to come up with a replacement. We're most upset, we
went through agony to find good names for her and she
doesn't like them. No wonder she gets called Snedge.
There are several fantasy cultures where children are
able to choose their own names, they never ring true
to me as the kids always pick such sensible names. I'm
always waiting for a village where every child has
named themself after their favourite bard (all the
same one of course) except for that loner kid everyone
picks on, who has of named himself "Lord Foul, master
of ultimate evil and prince of eternal darkness" (say,
that's how he got that name!).

Jon