Question: "High" concepts in Fantasy

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 2 20:48:27 EST 2003

--- HSchinske at aol.com wrote:
> Standard Time, Jon Noble <
> jon_p_noble at yahoo.com> writes:
>

> > Good idea, we could start this at 1 point for the
> > occasional "thou" up to five points for heavily
> > formal, deliberately archaic language throughout
> plus
> > Miltonic Inversions, and any other linguistic
> tricks
> > that infest the genre.
> >

> Do we get to take off points again if characters
> also say "Okay" and such, or
> does that make matters worse?
>
> I just found an "Okay" in _Beauty_ by Robin
> McKinley.

I think I'll have to be neutral on Okays and the like,
its more a matter of bad writing rather than "height".
They certainly don't add to the Height, but I don't
think they reduce it either.

On languages, I have just found this website which has
some interesting things to say (although more SF
oriented than fantasy)

http://www.xibalba.demon.co.uk/jbr/lingo.html

Jon