Question: "High" concepts in Fantasy

Jon Noble jon_p_noble at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 2 18:08:13 EST 2003

--- Charles Butler
> I was wondering about this too. It might be
> appropriate to introduce another
> sliding scale here, ranging from the mundane (Peter,
> Colin, Susan, Jane) to
> the slightly unusual (e.g. Dido, Lyra), to the
> definitely alien (Koryfon,
> Dacros), to the outright unpronounceable.

Not a bad idea, but I may have to look at the whole
thing again if purely linguistic elements get too many
points.
I had also thought of 1 point for  each volume, after
the first, that the story is published in (in addition
to the page length points) as Ash when published in
three seperate volumes is definitly "higher" than when
published as one thick single volume :)

 But we may
> also need a refinement
> whereby if the name is unpronounceable because it
> contains numbers or
> non-alphanumeric characters, the book is redefined
> as Science Fiction.

What about when the numbers also make a pun - I
suspect that that just means "don't touch with a ten
foot barge pole" - the only example I can think of is
"Ralph 124C41+" and someone's (John Sladek?) parody of
it. This one is definitly SF, but the '60s TV series
"the prisoner" (note the "the" in the title - I mean
the patrick Mcgoohan series, not the Aussie soap) had
definite fantasy elements (though mostly SF) with
everyone known as a number.

Jon