Question: "High" concepts in Fantasy

Irina Rempt irina at valdyas.org
Sun Mar 2 17:53:10 EST 2003

On Sunday 02 March 2003 23:43, Charles Butler wrote:

> I was wondering about this too. It might be appropriate to introduce
> another sliding scale here, ranging from the mundane (Peter, Colin,
> Susan, Jane) to the slightly unusual (e.g. Dido, Lyra), to the
> definitely alien (Koryfon, Dacros), to the outright unpronounceable.

Isn't that a direct function of secondary-worldliness? I obviously can't
have people called Susan and Peter (or Xzaghr and Qwips either), they
have to be called Senthi and Jeran because those are perfectly ordinary
names in their language. That's not *alien*, just *foreign*.

   Irina

--
Vesta veran, terna puran, farenin.          http://www.valdyas.org/irina
http://www.valdyas.org/~irina/foundobjects/          Latest: 02-Mar-2003