The Merlin Conspiracy interview on Bookseller

Charles Butler hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Sat Mar 1 04:48:52 EST 2003

Melissa:

> Thanks for the link.  I hadn't seen this yet.  Interesting, that last
> paragraph about a child's question being what sparked the book's creation.
> Same thing for _Howl's Moving Castle_.  I wonder if there were any others?
>
> That makes me think of that question authors really hate:  "Where do you
get
> your ideas?"  I think often what people want to know is "Where did the
germ
of an idea for Book X come from?"

DWJ has said on a couple of occasions that some of her books were 'sparked'
by phrases - especially puns. 'Urban gorilla' for Archer's Goon, for
example.  And her habit of saying 'Let's get weaving!' when telling herself
that she ought to be getting on with writing gave her the germ of the idea
for the Spellcoats. I think there may be others too.

Her 'Heroic Ideal' article on what went into the making of Fire and Hemlock
must count as one of the most elaborate essays in this kind of  aetiological
exercise.

Charlie