Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Sat Mar 1 01:57:48 EST 2003

On Thu, 20 Feb 2003, Paul Andinach wrote:

> On Sun, 2 Feb 2003, Kathryn Andersen wrote:
>
> > When I read the first Harry Potter book, the first thing I thought
> > of was "this is like DWJ, only not as good".
>
> What *I* thought, for the record, was "this is like _Groosham Grange_,
> only much much better".

No takers? Oh well.

_Groosham Grange_ is a children's fantasy novel about a boy who is
whisked away from his appalling relatives to attend a boarding school
of magic, on the train to which he makes two particular friends (of
whom the girl is the bookish one), and at which he confronts an evil
sorceror. It was published nearly a decade before Harry Potter's first
outing.

(I should add, apropos of the "much much better", that I've
subsequently revised my opinion of _Groosham Grange_; I think it is
probably a better book than I thought when I read it, although I am
not yet sufficiently sure of this to have another shot at interpreting
the ending.)

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."