I capture the castle

Kathleen Jennings s368333 at student.uq.edu.au
Mon Jun 16 04:45:45 EDT 2003

Firstly, loved the book.
Secondly, made the mistake of reading it the night before watching the movie
which didn't give the movie an advantage.

The book: I was only aware of one Dodie Smith novel, and this was so
different and fresh and funny ad readable. Still not sure of my feeling
towards the last quarter, but I can appreciate it.

The movie:  I would like to see it again at some days/weeks distance from
the book. I enjoyed it, and thought Topaz was marvellous. But while the
movie was very true to the story it wasn't quite close enough to the book
for me. Little things were changed and the feel was different. They are much
better off in the movie than in the book, but in the book the mood is much
lighter. And it was fun to catch glimpses of Eliot in Henry Thomas' face.
I'd certainly recommend the movie, it wasn't fair to it to read the book so
close.

Kathleen.